Are you planning a vacation in Alicante region? Alicante is one of the most popular tourist areas in Spain thanks to the sun, pleasant temperatures and incomparable beaches.
But the province of Alicante does not only offer a pleasant sun and beach tourism. This region, bathed by the Mediterranean, holds many other treasures. Visiting it you will be able to visit amazing natural parks and a wide cultural offer. You will love getting to know its remarkable historical and artistic heritage while enjoying many other activities.
In this post we tell you everything that Alicante region (Costa Blanca) has to offer you for your dream holidays. We go over its best beaches and coves, the most interesting cultural plans and the best excursions and routes for nature lovers.
Best beaches and coves in the province of Alicante
Alicante region is located on what we know as the Costa Blanca, the area that is home to some of the most popular beach destinations on the Peninsula. Along the entire coast you will find beaches for all tastes. From options for the more urbanites with all services and amenities to small coves to isolate themselves from the world, not to mention the many nudist beaches.
As far as destinations are concerned, Calpe, Benidorm, Moraira, Denia and Jávea are the towns with the largest number of beaches. There you will find all kinds of proposals, we highlight the most popular:
- Denia: You will find very diverse beaches along its coast. In the north of the city are Las Marinas, miles of white sand beaches. Meanwhile, in the south you can enjoy the rocky bottoms of Las Rotas.
- Jávea: In this town you will find some of the most beautiful beaches on the Costa Blanca, Cala Ambolo and Granadella.
- Calpe: You can find shallow and calm water along the kilometres of beach next to the promenade.
- Benidorm: It has one of the most popular urban beaches in Europe, that of Levante, and a large number of coves for those seeking more privacy.
- Moraira: Soft white sand beaches and intimate coves. Ideal for swimming and diving.
Cultural plans in Alicante region
Although most travellers arrive in Alicante region are attracted by the promise of sun and beach, many are surprised and amazed to discover its rich historical and cultural heritage. This region was for centuries a coveted location and conquered by different kingdoms as it was at the centre of several trade routes in the Mediterranean. This mixture of cultures has shaped a unique cultural environment, rich in castles and fortifications of different styles.
In the city of Alicante itself you will be able to see an example of this. Its most admired symbol is the Castle of Santa Barbara, a large fortress that dominates the centre and the bay. It is spectacular for its conservation and its location, 200 meters above sea level.
The city also has another fortress, the San Fernando Castle, located on the opposite side of the center.
As the capital, you will also find numerous museums and exhibition halls in the city of Alicante. Such as:
- The Ocean Race Museum
- The MARQ
- Fogueres Museum.
Only three kilometres from Alicante you will find the Ibero-Roman city of Lucentum. It is a very well preserved Roman settlement dating from the 4th century BC.
A cultural destination not to be missed is the city of Elche. It has a unique record, being the only municipality in Spain with three UNESCO awards in different categories:
- The Historic Palm Grove of Elche has the status of World Heritage Site.
- The Mystery, or Festa d’Elx was declared Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2001; it is a dramatic-religious festival held in August.
- The Pusol School Museum is included in the Register of Good Practices by the UNESCO Committee for the Protection of Intangible Heritage.
Another perfect option to get to know the history and culture of Alicante is Orihuela. It is a city located on the banks of the Segura River through which many civilizations have passed. It was inhabited by the Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Visigoths and Muslims; you will find archaeological remains and monuments of all these cultures. You can’t miss its cathedral, with a construction that dates back to the 13th century.
Excursions and routes around Alicante
The province of Alicante has a great deal of scenery in the middle of nature that is worth exploring. The best way to do this is to enjoy a good route by bike or hiking.
Bicycle routes in Alicante
This destination is very popular with cyclists because it has many sunny days, a great climate and very varied landscapes. Among the professionals, it is very appreciated as a destination for mountain biking routes; with competitions and events throughout the year.
These are some popular bike routes in Alicante:
- Forgotten Isbert Reservoir: An easy route of about four hours that invites us to pedal through the orange groves of the Rectory Valley, pine forests and the Isbert Reservoir.
- Sierra de Santa Pola Mountain Bike Route: Of moderate difficulty due to the unevenness of the terrain, this route can be completed in one and a half hours. It consists of a circular route through the Sierra de Santa Pola.
- Valleys of Llíber and Pop: A route with a duration of 3 hours and with little difficulty a few kilometers from the coast where we can enjoy the valleys of Llíber and Pop. We start from Denia and approach them by going up the course of the river Jalón-Gorgos.
Hiking routes in Alicante
If you prefer, you can also make some excursions on foot; we propose some options:
- Fuentes del Algar: A natural environment with waterfalls, natural swimming pool and nature trails only 10 km from Altea.
- Ruta del Faro l’Albir: Very easy, paved and suitable for children. It runs along the old road that leads to the northernmost end of the Sierra Helada with beautiful views of the Bay of Altea.
- El Barranc de l’Encantada: A circular route of 10 kilometres in the village of Planes where we travel through a ravine in the middle of nature.
- Benitatxell Cliffs Route: A very easy route that you can complete in just over an hour and that goes from Moraig Beach to Llebeig Cove.
Are you going to visit Alicante? Are you starting all the preparations? Let us take care of the transport! With Mitaxi you can book a taxi service in advance that will pick you up at the station or airport upon your arrival in the province of Alicante. Don’t wait and enjoy your vacation from the first minute!